Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Some things I would change or point out about the design and building of our coop and run...

Our coop is VERY solidly built - if you get locked into this thing by accident, you're gonna be there for a while unless you can yell and get someone to come unlock the door for you. But we realized that shortly after putting the door/latch on there and rigged up an emergency cable running inside that allows us to unlock the door.

Door latch:


That being said, another thing I'll add is a way to latch the door close behind me but without using the main latch i.e. so I can go in there and check on things w/o risking the girls getting out. I'm thinking just some sort of hook thingy attached to the door...

So next up is getting the door squared away a bit better... when Nic put the chicken wire on the ground in front of the door some dirt/rocks and such kinda got piled up and so now the door is a PITA to open and close - way too tight...

As I mentioned in a prior entry having quick access to the inside would be nice for giving the girls treats, so some sort of small door is in order...

When I move the water can out of the coop and into the run, I'll position it close to the side so I can fill it w/o having to go inside... or maybe not.. that might not work out based on the design of our waterer... hmmm... ;)

Also left to do is a 'cap' for the coop roof... the two pieces that form the roof have a seam down the middle and will allow water in... the cedar tree this thing is under does a pretty good job of protecting the coop but....

Will this never end?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment