Monday, June 6, 2011

Killing Chickens - almost....

Sorry, no pictures this time...

Since Nic and I are learning all this as we go, as time goes by I am seeing the error of my ways.... yes, hindsight is always 20-20...

Need to cool it with the affection and the chickens - almost got one of them killed last Friday night. They are so used to flocking to my feet that as I was on the porch moving toward a box, one (Stella) got under my foot... I managed to shoo her away before I stepped on her, but she jumped right back under just as my foot came down... I landed right on her foot and you've never heard such a blood curdling scream from something that small... of course as I'm panicking trying to get off her (was in a tight space) I damn near stepped on her HEAD in the process...

She kinda hung out by herself the rest of the night and for most of the next day... never saw her limping and as far as I can tell she's fine... but man, that horrible scream haunts me...

Some good chicken TV fun this weekend w/ the girls roaming around... they sure love to hang out underneath a Japanese Maple we have at one end of the planter boxes. I *think* that's a good thing, in hopes that this is where the slug/snail life cycle starts - and hopefully thanks to the chickens - ENDS...

Funny how the girls will walk by something dozens of times, peck at it then continue to ignore it - then all of a sudden can't get enough of it... take my wife's pepper and tomato plants for example... she's not exactly thrilled with the girls sudden interest in gardening... ;) I had to put up some more temp fencing - the peppers are now safe but we still gotta keep an eye on the tomatoes...

Planted a couple purple potato rhizomes that our friend Sandy gave me... no real clue, just turned up some soil, amended it w/ some potting soil, put in the plant, buried it under something of a mound... since I was by then out of potting soil one of them got a shovel full of chicken compost... probably too hot for the plant but we shall see...

Weekend included (yes, more) touch ups to the chicken run... spread out some more of the gravel, stained the backstop for the door, and hung a small bungy cord to use to hold the door closed w/o (hopefully!!) latching the door lock...

No comments:

Post a Comment