Tuesday, January 24, 2012

One Chicken Down, and Urban Farming and Homesteaders...

I knew this day would happen, either by circumstance or the chopping block, but it still pains me...

Lost one of our Rhode Island Reds as of last Monday morning... she had been acting aloof and such since shortly after the new year, and Nic spotted a white splotchy area on her butt from what we assume was diarrhea... Last Thursday we cleaned her up and put electrolyte stuff in their drinking water... But she was lethargic all weekend and we ended up giving her an actual bath... brought her in the house and put her in a box with a towel in it, and believe it or not the girl just sat there while Nic used a blow dryer on her... She didn't seem at all concerned about any of it (prolly exhausted), nor did she eat or drink anything when offered...




After all this I put her out in a nesting box and checked on the girls the following morning before leaving for work... She didn't make it through the night....





Anyways, onwards and upwards....

Last December I was asked by my bro Quentin if I'd be interested in participating in a new group or club he was planning on putting together, along the lines of "Urban Farmers and Homesteaders".... well, a few days after I said You Bet! he tells me he's moving to Colorado.... that weasel bastard.... ;)

So I got his contact list of about 5 people, put word out to the brew club and got interest from 10-15 people... our initial planning meeting is this Thursday so we'll see how it goes...

I'm thinking of a "walking, talking Mother Earth News" where we all participate in learning new things, hosting work parties, etc. There's a lot to learn so this should keep all of us pretty busy!

1 comment:

  1. You should have been suspicious when I was so willing to let you in on my awesome idea.... :P

    Seriously though, I'm glad you are getting this off the ground. It's been on my to-do list for far too long. I hope to hit a meeting sometime when we come back to visit!

    ReplyDelete