Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mmmmm - that's a stinky snack!

I took my first class last night put on by the OSU (GO BEAVERS!!) Extension Service - Master Food Preparers folks...

The class this time was on Fermented foods - yogurt, kimchi, kefir, apple cider vinegar, sourdough bread and yes, even chocolate. They let us sample all this stuff and this one item (name escapes me at the moment) is like a runny sour cream that was just yummy - MUCH better than what we normally use. Some of this and a bit of garlic and pepper and that would make one fine salad dressing me thinks...

Not so sure I learned a LOT but it's nice to get the creative juices flowing... the 'cheese experiment' a while back was a success for the most part, but there's a lot of room for improvement. A bro in the brew club is going to hook me up with a couple gallons of fresh goats milk and I'll see what I can pull off with that. Gotta love a fresh Chevre!

Other classes down the road (about one a month) are Emergency & Food Preparedness for your Family, Pickling, Jams & Jellies, Tomatoes and Salsa and I think there's one on canning meat... mmmm meat...

No comments:

Post a Comment