Monday, April 4, 2011

Things are taking shape with the Chickens!





It's been a pretty busy week as I recall, but all I seem to remember is the work we did this weekend on the chicken coop and run.

Saturday was errand day and made a run to Jerry's for supplies to build the chicken run... fence posts, fencing, paint, clamps & gizmos, and $233 later we were on our way... it's gonna take a loooooong time to recoup our costs on all this I'm sure...

After picking up yet more supplies from Coastal Farm (another $13) Nic offered to buy me a beer at Oakshire... Our friends Les and Tami were leaving town soon so we called them to touch base and have a nice trip, next thing we know the afternoon was over with... not that we had lots planned, but...

Sunday morning I disassembled anything that would come off the coop (thanks again Jeff and Joan!!), cleaned up and lubricated any hinges, did an inventory of where the coop might need some TLC... swept out the interior then blasted everything with the hose. It was a pretty nice day so I wasn't too worried about things not drying out...

Our friend Les was loaning me his fence post diggers and offered his help as well... do we have great friends or what?? Four holes in the ground was a lot more work that I thought it was going to be... back on the farm I dug fence posts in my sleep, but that was more than 30 years ago and I've been riding a desk for the last 10 years... where's the Advil ???

Next up is framing the chicken run w/ 2x4's, string the fencing, build a door... I'll probably wait until after the coop is painted before putting the wire roof on... plenty of time to finish this whole thing up but with the way weekends get filled up I'd rather stay on top of things as much as possible...

Tonight I'll try to remember (NCAA Championship game is on) and do another brooder test... we get our chicks Wednesday night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment